October 3, 2010

Just Like That

It seems like this Christmas morning was yesterday.  We told the boys that they couldn't open their presents until their sister woke up.  So, five seconds later.......... They were running to her room, dragging her out of bed.  She came downstairs to see what Santa had left her, while yawning and trying to wake up.  (I've always loved when the kids were young and they first woke up.  Those were the best snuggle times.  Not this morning though!!!!!)

We still lived in town, we had a BLUE couch and a burgundy recliner (and I thought that it went together nicely).  We had three young children and I was a different type of busy than I am now.  I was potty training, wiping runny noses, cleaning up toy messes and barely having time to brush my hair.

I had no idea how different my busyness would become.  Driving kids to practices, running forgotten homework and lanyards to school, cooking dinners before Homecoming dances and sitting on more metal bleachers than I care to know.

I look at this picture and I see things that most wouldn't.............
I see Ryan's puppy in the upper left corner.  He wanted a stuffed dog that looked just like his Aunt Pam and Uncle Mike's dog, Taken.  Ian also wanted a stuffed dog.  He was less particular about it though.  So we bought him the one behind Gracie.  I think it was a rottweiler?  I see Incredible Hulk bath soap.  A transformer that Ryan, HAD TO HAVE (then never played with).

Then lastly, I see a little girl.  My princess.  With or without the tiara and heels.  I think of how she has always been so special to me.  My little side-kick.  All those pink bows reeled me in like a fish.

When Rick and I first were married, we jumped into "responsible mode" with both feet.  He was working as a last year medical student.  I went straight to work to help pay school loans.  I barely made over minimum wage.  We lived in a two bedroom apartment and pork steak was a fancy meal for us.  It didn't really matter though, because I was a terrible cook anyway.  If I had made a filet minion it would have still tasted like pork steak.

Rick was accepted into residency at Truman east.  Then.... bam-bam, Ryan and Ian entered our world.  I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, it just happened so quickly.  I didn't savor it like I should have.  I didn't pause and think about how fortunate I was.  So 3 years went by before Rick and I decided to have another monkey.  3 years made all the difference.  I enjoyed it.  I savored it.  I paused and thought about how fortunate I was.  I'm not going to lie and say I enjoyed the pregnancy.  I could have been carrying Jesus himself, and still disliked it.  Rick will attest to that.  He was usually on the butt end of my belly aching and such.  However, I understood the privilege and responsibility of motherhood.  Maybe I was an older and more mature, I don't know.  Somehow though, it just clicked.

Then voila, my baby girl was born.  Rosy plump cheeks and perfect skin.  Enough hair to put clips into.  Clear blue eyes that melted my heart every time I looked at them.  A closet full of ruffled pink and soft pastels.

She had a birthday September 14th.  9 years old!!!  Just like that, she's growing up.  And all this to say, she made a HUGE spiritual decision this evening.  She said the sinner's prayer and asked Jesus into her heart.

I thought that she melted my heart when she was born.......... That's nothing compared to how I am feeling now.
I'm gushing with pride..................
I'm overwhelmed with all the blessings I've been given..................
All three of my children have asked Jesus in their heart, and that comforts me.  I feel like I'm taking in a monstrous "Holy Spirit" breath right now.  Then, exhaling all the worry......all the times I've made mistakes as a mother..... All the fears....... All the recent sadness.  Ahhhhhh, it sure feels good.

I thought you would also like to know that Gracie made this decision on her Aunt Pam's birthday.  Which is SUPER special to all of us!!!!!!!!

I love you Gracie and I'm proud as a peacock!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment