September 27, 2010

The Voices in my Head

It's Honeycrisp season.  The coveted apple that lives up to it's name.

I bought a sack of them the other day.

Normally I consider it blamsphemy to bake with Honeycrisp apples.  They were meant to be eaten as the Lord created them. BUT........ I found a recipe that beckoned my name.  It said in a ghostie sort of voice, "Mandy, you need to make me."  "Your family will love you."  "You will become famous."  and "People will send you all sorts of money."  "Your children will honor you and your husband will worship the ground you walk on."  

I fell to the temptation.  Peeled and Chopped six Honeycrisp apples to little bites.  Mixed them up in a bowl with all sorts of ingredients.  Then popped it into the oven.  

They were pulled out of the oven two hours ago.  No one has sent me money, asked me for an interview with Barbara Walters, my children have not called and told me that I was the coolest mom ever, and my husband hasn't sent me flowers or diamonds.


Nevertheless, the house smells wonderful.  
Thanks to Bakerella.

 It's called Easy Apple Cake.  Not to be mistaken for Granny's Apple Cake.  (which I made a few weeks ago)  I'm not sure that it was any easier, as the name implies.  The clear difference is that I made this recipe in a 9" X 13" pan instead of a bundt pan.  I will let the official taste testers decide tonight.
I love that you get to poke holes in this cake.  Stab.....stab.....stab......  Kinda feels good.  
Now that you are officially afraid of me.  I will note that I think the holes will make for a moister, 
gooey-er cake.

 Easy Apple Cake
3 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped dates rolled in flour
1 cup chopped walnuts

Topping

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and cinnamon with a wire whisk and set aside.
Combine sugar and oil using a mixer until blended.
Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
Add flour mixture and mix well.
Stir in nuts, dates and apples. The batter will be very thick.
Pour into a greased and floured 9 X 13 pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.
Cool cake and using a skewer, poke holes in cake.
Cook topping ingredients on stove until mixture bubbles.
Pour topping over cake letting some (ha… more if you like) seep into the cake.


                from: BAKERELLA

No comments:

Post a Comment