January 27, 2011

Furry Frost

I noticed a beautiful glistening on the tall grass when I took the kids to the bus stop.  Every limb and blade of grass was covered with a white flocking.  
It seems every year between Christmas and Valentine's day my mood is dreary.  I'm sure it's the grey colors, lack of sunshine, and the let-down of all the excitement from the holidays.  We are nearing February, and I am in the thick of the doldrums.  Blah!!  
I'm thankful that I have pretty things to look at from my windows.
I'm thankful that God at least made snow pretty (even if it is a thorn in my side).
I'm thankful that snow brings more birds to my feeder.
I have no flowers to photograph........ so ........for a couple months, you are getting birds.  Lots and lots of bird photos!!!!  You say that you could care less about birds..... DOESN'T MATTER!!!  You get what you get, and don't throw a fit!  He he!!
This is Mr. Cardinal.  I have been very impatient about his arrival.  I've recently discovered that it takes nearly a month for them to go to a new feeder.  I also learned that they are ground feeders and prefer a stable platform to eat.  

I caught him with his mouth full.  Sorry!
Mr. Yellow Finch
I have oodles and oodles of these feathered friends.  They are messy with the seeds, but aren't they pretty.  
This is my very first year feeding the birds.  I thought for a week that these red-heads were cardinals.  Silly me!!!  They are actually house finches.  The males are red and the females are plain-jane.  
Help me guys!  I don't know what species this is.  If you know, leave me a comment.  
He also has his mouth full.  






No comments:

Post a Comment