February 16, 2010

Not the lint out of the dryer......LENT!!!!

Today is the beginning of Lent. You know, the 40 days before Easter (excluding Sundays). These 40 days represent the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness. During that time He was tempted by Satan and stayed faithful to God. I have never in my life observed Lent.

I don't necessarily have an aversion to it. It just wasn't a custom that my family held to growing up. Frankly, until recently, I didn't understand a lick of it. I didn't understand how "giving up" something could add to your faith.

So, I've done some research. The Catholics require that anyone over the age of 18 and under the age of 60 abstain from meat. (unless God tells me personally to do that, it aint happening) But I would like to fast from something that could potentially bring me closer to God.

For example: Let's say I give up reading gossip magazines. Every time that I am tempted to read one, I focus on God. I draw strength from Him to not read the latest on Brad and Angie. That, my friends, is becoming more Christ-like.

So I say......... "God bless it!"

In case you're wondering, I have given up my subscription to People magazine. However, I decided to do that before Lent. So in good conscience, I cannot choose that to be my "thang".

Instead, I am choosing...... (drum roll............)

To give up any carbonated beverage. Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, (oh, my heart is hurting) Diet Mountain Dew.
If you know me at all, you will understand the enormous sacrifice this is. The Lord and I will surely be BFF's after this is over.

So if you read this, please hold me accountable. If I crack the top to a can of caramel deliciousness, TAKE IT OUT OF MY HANDS!!!!! I may slap you........ I may curse you........ I may make horrific facial expressions, but please, TAKE IT!!!!!

My children have also willingly decided to participate. I am letting them choose whatever they would like. None of them have made a solid decision except Gracie. She says she will give up sweets.


So, in honor of my daughter's hardship, I will also give up sweets. Yes, you heard me!!!!!

NO POP....... NO SWEETS. FOR 40 DAYS!!!!!

(I just passed out)

(retraction: Since I wrote this, Gracie has slightly changed her mind. She said that she will only give up chocolate. Her reasoning was this...... "Mom, if I give up all sweets, then I won't be able to eat the lollipop that you gave me for Valentine's Day.")

If her and I make it through this, we are having one MAJOR chocolate and pop fest on Easter day!!!!! You will ALL be invited!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mandy,
    Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment. ;) I love your thoughts about Lent. I haven't decided what to 'give up' yet, but I'm toying with it being wine.
    If you LSS doesn't carry Webster's, you can get it at www.emmaspaperie.com. Cindy has a good selection. Or you can buy directly from Webster's at www.websterspages.com. Hope you find some soon!

    ReplyDelete