October 30, 2009

Pumpkin Guts

Our annual pumpkin carving night was a tremendous success! After dinner, we brought out all the tools. Each of us had a large mixing bowl to collect the innards. Over the years we have accumulated quite a collection of sculpting equipment. Including a dremel tool made especially for pumpkin carving. This year, for some reason, we stuck to the small saws. Less IS best sometimes.

The hardest and messiest part is getting the "guts" out of the pumpkin. I do not like my hands icky and neither do the monkeys. I guess it is a necessary evil to create our masterpieces. All kinds of noises were made during this step. "Gross"......"Ewwwww"........"Uggghhh"!

Ryan was feeling overwhelmed by the mounds of homework that he had. So, he chose not to carve this year. I only agreed to this if he sat at the kitchen table so we could visit. The TV was off, bellies full from dinner, hot chocolate in mugs, and the family gathered. All in all, a good night.




This kid ended up doing homework ALL evening. Algebra (it's a bad word in my opinion) Thanks goodness my husband is a smartie. I hate math to the 10th power!!!!!! SQUARED!!!!
Except for a small amount of help scooping out the insides, Gracie carved this pumpkin 100% on her own. She wanted a cat. Her finished product was darling. I was so proud of her.
Ian's is on the left. Mine is on the right. I think they turned out well for amateurs, don't you?

This was Gracie's. Can you see the cat's head. The swirly thing is the tail. Cute, eh?

We always go to Grandma and Grandpa's to trick or treat their neighborhood. I thought this year we would put our pumpkins on their front step. That is one disadvantage to living in the country.....no trick or treaters!! Besides that, Grandma usually makes us delicious soup to eat while we are there. (I'm raising my hand) You can count me in!!!!

Have a great weekend. It's a busy one for us. Opening weekend of Youth deer season, Ryan's final baseball games, and of course, Halloween!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment