August 19, 2009

First day of school for the monkeys...

Normally, the first of anything is usually scary!!! If you are like me, firsts are VERY scary. That is the reason I haven't joined an exercise class at the YMCA.

For all three of my monkeys, today was a first.

For Gracie, it was the first day of a different school. She is switching from Dewey to Field. When the boys made this transition, it seemed like they instantly grew up. The same is happening with Gracie. Her Open House went without a hitch. Mrs. Scott was a sweet as we anticipated. She gave Gracie smiles and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (always a good sign!!!). I think our year is going to be remarkable!!! (big smiles)

For Ian, it is not only a first day of a different school, it is middle school!!!! Also, his school is in absolute chaos. The city decided to tear down the main part of the building's structure and re-build. The result is that there aren't enough classrooms. They are making classrooms in the cafeteria out of temporary walls. When Ian started school this morning, he didn't know where ANY of his classes would be nor where his locker was. To say that momma was worried is a huge understatement. I know that they will all manage. Nevertheless, it is my job to worry and I do that job well.

Ryan has the least change of all. He is in the same school. Yet, he is in the same turmoil that Ian is in. His changes are a little more subtle. He is the "big man" on campus. A mighty 8th grader. He now shares a school with his little brother, which cannot be cool! His classes are different along with different teachers.

They were all excited this morning and despite all these changes, it's going to be fine.
IT'S GOING TO BE FINE.....IT'S GOING TO BE FINE......IT'S GOING TO BE FINE. I'll just continue to tell myself this while you read on.
I'm not looking forward to waking Ryan up every morning. This monkey LOVES his sleep!!! I think a bull horn purchase may be in my future!!!!
Ian, on the other hand, jumps out of bed at the crack of dawn. Usually before anyone in the house.

Gracie informed me this morning that I didn't need to help her get dressed. After she told me to go downstairs twice, I frowned, and obeyed. Why, o, why, do they grow up so quickly? Can someone pleeeeasseee tell me???? I always thought that they weren't babies long enough and teenagers too long!! Can I get an amen?

For me, the changes are that I am once again alone during the day. I may get more done with the monkeys gone to school. But I get lonesome for them. Many mommies look forward to their children going back to school. For me, it's bittersweet. I love the noises they make around the house while I'm cooking and cleaning. Even if they are "fighting with each other" noises. I find that I talk to Gus more. He doesn't roll his eyes at me at least. Him and I took a short walk at Danner Park this morning. It was a short walk because Gus isn't much for exercise. I ended up stopping four times to let him catch his breath. Lazy dog!!!! However, he loves the attention. I'm sure that the kids going to school blesses him. Maybe???? I think that he might miss them too.

Every year on the first day of school, I make the kids breakfast. This has become a big deal to them. It is a big deal because it doesn't usually happen. I'm am not a breakfast maker. Well...unless we have breakfast for dinner. My gears usually don't start turning until mid-morning. So they usually eat cereal, breakfast bars, pop-tarts, or frozen waffles. Please don't judge me for this. I almost always make wholesome dinners.

Even Gus got some breakfast casserole mixed into his food.'s a special day!!!!!!!

Breakfast Casserole

5 slices thick-sliced white bread, crust and all (buttered and cubed)
1 pound mild sausage, cooked, crumbled, and drained
3 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
4 eggs
2 c. milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt

1. Spray a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish with Pam. Place the bread cubes in the casserole. Evenly distribute the sausage over the bread cubes. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Combine the eggs, milk, mustard and salt and mix well. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

2. The next morning, remove the casserole from the refrigerator and allow it to sit on the counter for 15 minutes while you preheat the over to 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap, place the casserole in the oven, and bake for one hour.

Serves 6 to 8

p.s. Before you say anything. I know!!!!! This was made the night before. It wasn't cheating though, promise!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment