May 13, 2009

Babes, Bouquets and Buddies

BUDDIES
The following pictures are just a few of the reasons that I love volunteering in my church kitchen.  During the school year, this is where I am every Wednesday.  Usually from 9:00 a.m. till 2:00 p.m..  We talk lots, offer shoulders when we are down, and laugh at each others "kitchen mistakes".   I truly treasure getting to know each and every one of these special ladies.
Jen is mixing up a lemon pie.  She is Alicia's daughter.  We don't get to cook with her much, but it's always fun having a young mind in the group.  
Pat Reed joined us this year and I love getting to know her.  She travels to exotic places and the stories she tells are amazing.  
This is my kitchen momma, Alicia Early.  I have truly grown to love this woman.  I've never met any other person so giving.  I once told her that I liked her cookbook.  She wouldn't back down until I took it to my car.  She is such a devoted mother.  I'm getting teary thinking about her.
This is the comedian of the bunch.  Little sweet Marcia.  I always thought she was quiet and loving.  Well, she is loving, but, I didn't know that she was onery too!!!  
We have finished cooking until this September.  I told the girls that I am always glad to be done and I'm always glad to start back up.  

Not pictured:
Sherry Thomas
Lynn Boyles
Terri Willard
Karen Thomas




Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
-G.K. Chesterton


my BABES
I volunteered at my last God Squad for the 2008-09 school year.  Ryan hung out and helped me.  It just occurred to me as I'm writing this that I won't have God Squad again for two years.  Wow!!!!!  Gracie will go when she is in 3rd grade.
I went with Ian on a field trip to Steamboat Arabia.  It was interesting.  Probably the best field trip that I have been on.  I even rode the bus with him.  I will post pictures of the museum later this week.  This was a picture of Ian, being goofy, at Penguin Park.  We went there after Steamboat to let the kids run off some energy!!
Ronni Clark, a friend of ours, says in her next life, she wants to be one of my cats.  Congo is enjoying sunshine and the warm blankets in the living room.
Gracie Lu, cheesing it up for the camera.  I'm surprised that this kid doesn't have permanent red-eye as many pictures as I've taken of her.



BOUQUETS
I've been doing lots of gardening lately.  Actually, that is why I've been a bad blogger.  There is only so much time in a day to be creative.  Since I am also reading the Twilight series like a mad woman, I have very little time for scrapbooking, card-making or blogging.  I promise that this is only a short season.  I will return ;)
As a wife, a mother and a wanna be artist, I find that my thoughts and creative ideas seem to swim around in my head.  I'm constantly thinking, this would make a gorgeous scrapbook page. In the Spring and Summer, I find the easiest way to collect my thoughts, is to head to the flower garden.  I dead-head the petunias and water the geraniums.  It relaxes me and helps me forget that I have a million other things pressing for my time.  Digging in the dirt works for me.  Hummingbirds buzzing, my dog, T-bone laying in the grass beside me.  I think about many things, talk to the LORD and chill out.  As a child, gardening meant picking green beans in the squeltering heat and getting stung by sweat bees.  Not fun to me.  But as an adult, I discovered flowers.  My first garden was a small square bed that Rick built for me.  I planted impatients, salvia, petunias (all annuals).  That small garden went crazy and I quickly saw the fruit of my labor.  Now when I'm finished in my garden, I feel refreshed and ready to begin the tasks of the day.  It is amazing to see the growth and beauty happening right before my eyes.

The blooms on this baby are the size of a dinner plate.  Gigantic!!!  So pretty.
I always think of my Aunt Pam when I see a columbine.  She is the one who introduced it to me years ago.  She had lots of purple ones in her garden.  I've bought lots of these plants.  Since they aren't blooming when I purchase them, I never know what color I'm getting.  I like the whites, creams and yellows.  But I really wanted a purple one, just like Pam's.

I planted a snowball bush last Spring.  This is a beautiful picture (if I do say so myself).  No credit to the photographer, I have an amazing camera.  I remember my Grandma having one of these bushes under her kitchen sink at the Woodend house.  The blooms were enormous.  That is when I fell in love with this plant.  


BUDDIES

No comments:

Post a Comment