January 25, 2009

Ahhh, finally, a relaxing day.  The hardest thing I did today was teach Sunday School.  I took a little siesta on the couch while Gracie watched Spongebob.  Then I made a few scrapbook pages. Did a little laundry, but nothing too exhausting.  Basically, a perfect day.

Rick is working in Carrollton.  We decided that he could work more this month than others because we didn't have many plans.  (besides basketball).  He is able to work around most games with the help of Greg Stafford, Rick's P.A., we call him Shrek.  He has called a few times and said that it has been steady but not busy.  Usually when he works in Carrollton we go to visit him.  He doesn't have to stay "in house".  We can eat out, go swimming, or hang out at the office.  But today, I just wanted to kick up my feet.  After I get the munchkins to bed, I plan on heading back downstairs to do a little more creating.  So much fun to me.

I am working on making Valentines.  I plan on sending out a mother-load of them.  Maybe as many as I sent Christmas cards.  I don't know though.  I only have 5 made so far.  I spend way too much time on each one.  I just cannot seem to relax unless I'm creating or cooking.  Both of which feed the two vices that I mentioned in the last post.  Spending and eating.  So I guess I'm doomed unless God amazes me with a new talent.

The kids have been down each others throats constantly today.  They began fighting in the car on the way to church.  With ironically always happens.  It seems like the devil needs me to be in a bad mood before I grace God's doors.  So, I have had to break up and mediate a few arguments today.  Not the favorite task in my job description.

I'm anxious to start a new week.  Most people don't like Mondays,  I don't mind them.  It seems like that's the day that I get the most done.  I'm usually energized and have very few distractions.  

I found a really cool recipe that I want to try with the kids this week:

Soft Pretzels
3/4 c. lukewarm water
1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. e.v.o.o.

In a small bowl, stir together the lukewarm water, yeast and sugar.  Let stand until foamy, 3 to 5 minutes.

Using a standing mixer, mix the flour and salt at low speed.  Mix in the yeast mixture and olive oil until a shaggy dough forms.  Change to the dough hook attachment and mix at medium speed until smooth, about 6 minutes.

Quarter the dough.  Roll into four 18" long ropes, twist each rope into a pretzel shape and place on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.  Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 25 minutes.  Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with pretzel salt or chopped rosemary and bake @ 400* until golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Let cool for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment